“We spend January 1 walking through our lives,
room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done,
cracks to be patched.
Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to
walk through the rooms of our lives…
not looking for flaws, but for potential.”
— Ellen Goodman
Two weeks late, but Happy New Year everyone! I wanted to share this quote, because when I think of Countryside and our impact on hearts/minds/bodies/spirits there is indeed so much POTENTIAL here.
The splash and ripple that we talk about in Changing Lives training is a very real illustration of potential… Splashes (outputs) become Ripples (outcomes) which move outward over time. Splashes cover a smaller area than ripples do. One activity or one action may involve a small number of people, but that just as a splash yields ever widening ripples, the benefits of the activity and its output spread beyond the initial group of participants to include other people. It is in the zone of the ripples that a project generates important social changes.
Countryside Y is a natural venue in which we can create important social change in Warren County. Without thinking very hard, I was able to come up with a quick list of things we will accomplish together in 2016 via our Caring for Families Campaign and other departmental programs, and that’s just stuff that is on the radar… who knows what other opportunities may crop up as we journey along… We’ll do things like:
- Provide PRESCHOOL AND SUMMER CAMP EXPERIENCES for children in need via outreach programming
- Provide FINANCIAL SUPPORT to families needing assistance with program and membership fees
- Teach children in our child care and local elementary schools HOW TO SWIM
- SMILE at someone on a day when they really need it
- Create HEALTHY BODIES through our exercise, sports and fitness programming and classes
- Support local teens through SPECIAL OLYMPICS, YOUTH IN GOVERNMENT AND LEADERS CREW
- Improve reading scores of under served youth in the King’s District through SWIM TO READ
- Develop skills like dance, cooking, pottery and more in our new ARTS & EDUCATION programming area, which will be up and running soon
- Offer a safe space for FAMILIES and CHILDREN to spend time together in a meaningful way
- Select TWELVE STAFF CHAMPIONS from our awesome staff to receive recognition from their peers for outstanding work and demonstration of our mission
- Grit our teeth and know that despite the inconvenience, the facility will be improved for the better via the renovation
- Hold awesome events like the Countryside Gala in March, the Applefest Run and Mud-O-Ween in the fall
- Support parents through parenting workshops, Blessed Respite and preteen overnights
- Provide parents some much needed exercise and/or alone time, knowing their children are safe in our CHILD WATCH area
- Work with Lebanon City Schools’s student athletes on SPEED AND AGILITY, as well as LIFEGUARD TRAINING for high school students
- Coach and/or train a person who never thought they’d take the initiative to get back in shape
I could go on… but you get the idea. With POTENTIAL (splash) comes IMPACT (ripple), and every person who works in this facility is a vital part of that impact.
I’m pretty proud of that, and I hope you are too.
SO… if your attitude adjustment plan for 2016 consists the following:
… I hope you’ll reconsider and think about the things you, as an awesome human being, can do to help us reach our potential this year.
We got this.
Have a great weekend!