Ha ha! No, you are not rid of me and my emails even though I didn’t send one out on Friday. Right now I know you are thinking…
I planned to reach out again to share with you the excellent goings-on I observed last week. Then, about 12:30 I got a text from my daughter telling me that her close friend’s dad had been killed suddenly on Friday morning. That dad was Sonny Kim, the Cincinnati police officer you may have heard about over the weekend, who was shot in the line of duty on Friday morning. Needless to say, that pretty much wrecked my head for the afternoon.
Now I’m not going to go on a rant about gun violence and our long list of societal problems, but I do want to tell you that Sonny was a stellar human being and the world is minus one bright spot today. He leaves behind three beautiful sons and a wife who are shell-shocked but deeply thankful for the outpouring of community support. Tragically, they can no longer share it with the person to whom the love is directed.
Whether it’s Cincinnati or Charleston, it’s a shame that it takes a tragedy for us to look around for the excellence in those around us. Who is your bright spot at work? A member? Co-worker? When’s the last time you told them so? To honor Sonny Kim, my wish is that THIS WEEK, you won’t just THINK your compliments, you will SHARE them.
In the meantime, I saw a few excellent things last week:
- See the attachment for a truly amazing basketball moment.
- There was a Star Wars party at Landen and YES, Bill Allen & staff dressed up.
- Camp counselors did an amazing job keeping our campers under control despite the poor weather conditions.
- Sat in on the CSC staff meeting and was inspired by the trainers and their stories of how they are not only improving members’ health, but also their self worth.
- If you need a pick-me-up, put in a request with Reuben to perform “Lunch Lady Land.”
Finding these things around here isn’t hard. You are making a difference, every day – all you have to do is pay attention. So please, honor Sonny Kim by sharing your appreciation of others around you, and HAVE A GREAT WEEK.